Tuesday, January 26, 2010

repair time

Yesterday I attacked my teardrop trailer.

I untarped her, took out the mattress, took off the doors, the windows, cabinet doors, galley hatch, in short any thing that was loose or could come off! All of those parts went into the box trailer where they will stay dry until I need them again.

With Miriam's help we pushed and prodded her into the shop (she is light enough I can push her around alone), slid her off the axle and onto a short rolling platform I had made, and then rolled her into the shop, minus the axle and wheels.

With the axle and tires the trailer is 7 feet wide, without a mere 5, and in a shop as small as mine that is a huge difference.

Today it is raining, but the little lady is dry in the shop. It will be a joy to work on her!

When I built her I invented a good bit of the process (not the design). I made some assumptions that were not correct, and some that I decided to “improve!”

There was some water damage. The hatch was not water and water got under the skin. Last year's trip to Death Valley did a number on the tongue support, so I will make “knees” and bolt it back in position. It should be stronger when I am finished.

Spring, and gardening are coming, so I have to keep going!

Today I'll finish removing the side skins and begin putting things back together.

Guess we will see if my new cogitations are correct.

PS: Ships are referred to as female. Not wanting to upset tradition, I will refer to my tear in the feminine idiom! LOL.

No comments: