Monday, March 15, 2010

Craig

Miriam's dryer quit.

She bought a new pair back when she was working.

The dryer died awhile back and we replaced with another of about the same vintage. But that one is sounding like a VW, just before parts start flying.

So I did what people who are on a tight budget do, I looked at Craig's List. I never met Craig, though I do understand he is a very wealthy (now) computer geek who lives somewhere in San Francisco.

I found a good selection of used washers and dryers, but was drawn to one in particular. Called the seller, made a deal and drove 50 miles to get the set. Nuts, right?

It is a front loader. Daughter one has one, says it is fabulous. Since it loads from the front they sell a stands to set them on, and that sounded good, so I did some search about how high to make one. Along the way I did a bit of looking at the reviews of this particular washer. Oops.

It was like you might expect from a Yugo. We have owned this brand since we begin buying new, but as one reviewer said: “They aren't made like they used to be made.”

Of 10 possible points, the average reviewer gave the machine about a 2. Ouch. A few said it was wonderful that they could not live without it, but a whole lot more said this version was somewhat less than horrible.

But now I own one. Do I have the wonder or the dog.

I guess we will find out.

I think there is a lesson here somewhere.

2 comments:

Arline said...

Well, daughter #2 has this set, too. \

What I hear is that brand isn't made by that brand anymore, but another company makes it and sticks the first brands name on it. (got that?! LOL!)

Another thing I hear is that nothing is made like they use to be. It's made cheap so that it can be replaced in a shorter amount of time and so that the cost-profit margin is sweet.

So, whatcha gonna do?

dave said...

I am gonna live with it, as long as your mother can! Today she seems pretty adjusted to it all.