Saturday, March 20, 2010

spring pruning

Spring is pruning time.

On a small holding like mine, there is no shortage of plants that need to be pruned.

We have about 20 fruit trees, some fairly decent shade trees and too many weed trees that were here when we arrived 35 years ago.

A while back I planted some good old fashioned Oregon Blackberries along the long row of brambles. The plants are vigorous and the tendrils are long. Each part of the plant is covered in long very sharp thorns. When I prune them I get out my heavier than normal welding gloves.

Some years I prune light and some years heavier. This was a heavy year. If I let them get too large I get a lot of very small fruit and berries.

This year we cut down a very dead Paper Bark Birch. It was a beautiful tree, but one that does not do well in this area. Even the cut up hunks are pretty.

There are a few shade trees I would like to take out, but it takes so long while for them to grow into the empty space, that I am reluctant to proceed.

It has been good to be outside again. I as much a devotee of the outdoors as I am of good weather. Coward. So when the temps warm up a bit (50ยบ can be warm) and there is not much wind I venture out with tools in hand!

I easily become a weather coward.

2 comments:

arutherford said...

I have so many snow-damaged bushes this year. I'm pruning gently so as not to further shock these faithful beauties-encore azaleas, laurels, hydrangeas. We'll see what they look like when they are in full bloom.

dave said...

I wish I had a few of these plants. I am not good at decorative gardening, at all.