Tuesday, April 12, 2011

my neighbor

One of my favorite gardeners is my neighbor Elvin.

My valley is the home of one of the larger hybrid corn seed producers in our country. Elvin was the president of this multi-million dollar company.

Weeds simply were not allowed in his garden. There were none. Since he was the president of a corn seed company, corn was his main crop and his corn was the very best. Years ago I was invited to get corn from his garden for our use. Corn is never so good as when it is taken from the garden and put right into the oven or pot (I prefer to roast sweet corn in the oven, the corn in it's husk).

I have learned so much by watching him. Last year I made notes on what I was seeing.

When Elvin retired a some years ago he sold the place to his son in law Terry, but Elvin kept the sizable garden going.

Elvin has buried two wives, but has been pretty healthy, but each year he says that might be his last. This winter was not good to him and it looks truly like he won't be back this year for sure.

I will miss visiting with him. I will miss watching (and asking) about his technique and choices.

He took medicine for one health issue and it messed up another part of his nearly 80 year old body. There is too much of that in this life.

No comments: