Monday, April 11, 2011

postscript on the cookies

We both spent a fair amount of time looking for the pan with the cookie dough. Finally I found it in the bottom of the refrigerator, buried in the back.

Yesterday I brought it out and suggested she continue the project.

She has a cook book that has a list of basic "mixes" that can be manipulated to any number of final recipes. The problem is that you have a recipe for the mix (both full size batch and half) and a hundred pages later, what to add to this mix to get the desired cookies.

Today she fussed and fussed with all of that. I was busy with other things and let her continue. Finally she was in tears of frustration. She would turn to one page and the other and repeat and confound. So I divided the dough, dumped it into the mixer bowl and added the ingredients that I guessed were missing. I kept assuring her that I would eat cookies no matter what! If they did not stick together we would use them as topping on our Muesli.

It took a bit of trial and error and a few samples that went "away," before we got it workable.

She finished baking them later, but she never really settled down, but continued to fuss and fuss about it all.

Of course, all of that will be erased from her memory today.

When we do cookies again, I'll do the mix, or maybe everything but the liquids.

I don't know. This is very frustrating to her and as such it grieves me too.

No comments: