Monday, March 16, 2009

dream

I had a visit with Robin Williams last night.

During the presidential campaign John McCain and I also visited.

OK, it was a dream, both of them.

Still, Robin and I visited like old friends, talking about kids and health and such. I have been a fan of his incredible skills since Mork and Mindy a hundred years ago.

I told John that he was not running a very good campaign, and he nodded in agreement. “John, I admire you, but you are not going to win this one." he nodded again. "And, even I am not going to vote for you. But you have served your country in extraordinary ways. I am proud of you, and so should you.”

He nodded in both agreement and resignation.

The big book says that in the old days old men will dream dreams. And there is a serious component there, but since I am pretty sure God has a tremendous sense of humor, I hope it is not irreverent to agree, to chuckle and say that some of those dreams might not make any sense though!

The Smothers Brothers always got to me. I followed their career, bought their LP's and admired. About a dozen years ago my youngest was staff artist at Pebble Beach. There was a Pro-Am event, and Linda was out among the players, probably on business of some sort.

She actually saw Tommy Smothers. “My dad has been a huge fan of yours forever.” They looked for something for him to sign and all he could find was the program of the day’s events. So it says: “To Dave, Tommy Smothers.”

Shucks he even included a YOYO with his name on it. I still have the yo-yo and the program.

No comments: