Tuesday, March 17, 2009

if those stones could talk


As I go through a cemetery, not often, but occasionally, I am full of questions about the people. What did they do, how well did they do it, were they good to their children, did they have a good life?
My great great grandfather is buried right behind where I am standing for this picture. He and his family left Iowa in the early 1860's with horses and a wagon. It took two years for them to make it to their destination in Washington State.
There is a whole row of our family there beside Grandpa Oscar.

4 comments:

~Betsy said...

I often wonder the same things in a cemetery. Gosh, I can't imagine a 2 year trip by horse and wagon. Your grandparents were very resourceful people - obviously.

dave said...

And tough!

StefanieRose said...

its really pretty. I have always been fascinated with cemeteries since i was little. probably Nonna's fault because she took me to her husbands grave so many times! Now I wish I could visit her just as much :( I miss her.

Anyways if you visited me in rochester I would take you to Mt. Hope. Its a REALLY beautiful cemetery and Susan B Anthony and Fredric Douglas is buried there! Rochester is proud of that. lol.

Emily said...

Really? I didnt know I had a great great great great grandpa who did that. Sounds hard. And Dirty. ew. I HATE DIRT! but I love you <3