Friday, March 20, 2009

wood strip


For many years boat builders have made canoes out of small cedar strips glued together.
This is a tonneau cover I am making for my Dodge pickup. I'll include a finish picture soon.
The strips are about 1/4" thick and 3/4 inch wide. The final tonneau is 6 by 8 1/4 feet and weighs about 50 pounds, not much heavier than the aluminum and canvas one this one replaces.
The cedar is salvaged from the church remodel we did a couple of years ago.
I added strips of maple and walnut for color.
For the last two or three weeks this has been my consuming passion!
Lots of work.

3 comments:

arutherford said...

What gorgeous wood. I really like the variety of woods. I suppose you're putting lots and lots of varnish on it so the weather doesn't ruin the wood.

Of course I had to look up tonneau cover to see exactly what it is. Thanks for the education. ;-} Can't wait to see the finished product.

StefanieRose said...

that is really pretty, i cant wait for the final image. :) i love you

Lori1955 said...

Beautiful Dave!!