Sunday, March 15, 2009

practice

Whenever I cook it is an experiment.

If I put water in a pan it is really experimental. It might burn.

So today I decided I wanted to make some egg noodles. I know it is a nutty idea because you can buy them so cheap, but I knew all of that and wanted to any way.

Looked at 3 or 4 recipes on Cooks.com and sorta made the average of those recipes. That may sound a lot less experimental than it was.

I wanted to use whole wheat, which is another big experiment. If there are recipes out there I did not find one (and come to think about it, I don’t think I looked for one).

So I measured and stirred and kneaded and rolled and cranked the “Made In Italy” pasta maker. What I got was interesting. Some recipes say to dry the noodles some say it is not necessary, so took the later word and put them in the boiling water for the prescribed 20 minutes.

The noodles came out unlike any since the Gauls sacked Rome. Of course I should admit that that is over my head, but I won’t.

Maybe it is as much art as science and maybe I need to read more and try it again. I play a cornet (trumpet), have since I was 10. After Church, Eric and I stayed till after the sanctuary was pretty well empty. Then Lora the organist (not daughter Lora this time) and us jumped in.

The first time through I got probably 5 or 6 percent of the notes, but by the third I was getting 60 or 62 percent of them.

So like music, like cooking.

Practice more, David.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical!! i am sure the ww flour is what messed you up. Some recipes really do matter if they are white or ww. Look it up and I'll bet you'll see the ingredient difference. Good for you for trying. I'm proud of you! I've never ventured to make pasta...but then, I don't have a "made in Italy" pasta maker, either.