Friday, March 20, 2009

seed starting

March is seed starting time.

Usually I set up my seed starting rack in the small studio. This year I have a work table in that space, so I brought the rack inside.

Such luxury. Water a few steps away. Warm temps in the room all the time. And those seeds like that.

Confucius is supposed to have said, after all I was not there to hear him, that the best fertilizer was the foot prints of the owner. With the rack here in the downstairs bedroom I look at those plants dozen times a day. I give them a squirt of water when the surface looks dry. I can put the whole flat in the bathtub to water.

And, when we are gone, Juan my neighbor, can easily keep them watered.

Once we were gone for a few days. We had a fish at that time and Juan was to feed the fish, Miriam left instructions and the fish food by the fish bowl. She did not say how much to feed the fish and by the time we got home the water was red (red shrimp I think it said).

We were lucky I guess the fish made it fine and Juan became a campion fish feeder.

No comments: