Sunday, May 10, 2009

grain silos


The Palouse country (Indians of that name bred some of the prettiest horses) is rolling hills of wheat. For temporary storage the landscape is dotted with large wood and concrete silos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Palouse_hills_northeast_of_Walla_Walla.jpg
Once I used silos as a theme in a print making class in Graduate Art School. One of the other students snorted: "Not acceptable subject matter."
I complained about the stupidity of the statement. The Prof said: "have you seen him around lately?"
He had been dismissed from the graduate program (which they can do in a heart beat).
Hmm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the grain silos especially out in the rural areas where they so stand out from the surrounding terrain.

My new thing to admire around here though are these huge, new, steel utility towers. Some of them that have special function and many appendages of unknown function make me think they are sculpture. And then the others line up so straight and tall and go for nearly as far as I can see. I love to look at them.

Thanks for the silos.