Wednesday, May 13, 2009

visit

Friends came to visit over the weekend.


Good friends, but distance make it so we don’t see each other too often.

She lost her long time job a wile back. It seemed to her boss that she had Alzheimer’s. Testing. Yes. More testing, 2nd opinion. No.

But something is wrong.

He is 10 years older. When they were 35 and 45 that was not a big deal, but it is now. She is 65 and he 75.

He is a long time heavy smoker, it is showing now. He got out of the pickup and I sucked in my breath. He looked so much older than the last time I saw him .

We went for walk. He walked with a cane, as much for balance as anything, but still . . .

They have no children between them. He has three, she has a boy she never sees, or even talks to. She is scared.

“What will happen to me?”

I was not worried over the phone. He has been healthy, but now he is not looking so good. What used to take half a day now takes three, he tells me.

They have a nice home with lots of lawn and outside work. It is getting to be too much for him. He thinks about moving into a retirement complex. She seems to agree.

Though not much younger, I think I am in better health. But no one knows what is going on inside -- for sure.

Miriam and she visited and told stories over and over. He and I visited and took a walk.

Years ago I remember seeing the picture of an old lady who had lost her home. I do not remember if it was a natural disaster or war, but she stared at the camera and asked that same question.

“What is to become of us.”

If it is bad, I do not want to know.

2 comments:

arutherford said...

Oh Dave, what a heart-breaking story. She must be so freightened and he must feel....lots of things--fear, helpless, overwhelmed. I do hope they decided to move to a retirement community that has all levels of care as needed.

dave said...

I hope so too.
And, Ann, fear that day for us too.