Sunday, October 31, 2010

borscht

Hmm.

My family are not German (or Ukrainian), and I don’t remember ever eating borscht. For a long time it was a mysterious name to me, then I found out the major ingredients were Cabbage and Beets.

Today I found out it also includes carrot and tomato sauce.

We have the ingredients, so I looked up a recipe and produced a pot of Ukranian Borscht today!

Simple, inexpensive ingredients (though I have not bought beets at the grocery store of late).

A side salad of romaine lettuce, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries made a good addition, and of course, there was whole wheat bread.

Miriam agreed. It was good.

We’ll do it again, soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you share your recipe, or maybe provide the link?

I haven't had good borscht since 1970, and Eagle(not his real name) brought it from NY and his grandmother's kitchen.

I'm looking for good soup recipes and just made my Mom's vegetable soup and we had a feast.

Thanks, Susan

dave said...

Try this link:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2348,156179-233204,00.html

It is the one I used.

dave