Friday, November 5, 2010

concert

We went to a concert tonight. Classical music.

All were amateur musicians. Maybe 60 or 70 of them.

They played well (though not without flaw), but for what they were being paid (zero) they were amazing. There were some young musicians, in their late 20 or 30’s, but there was a few who looked to be in their 80’s. Lots of gray hair.

As I listened I got to thinking: How many years of practice is represented in this group? Of course there is no way for me to know, but it could be a thousand or two.

Often I will talk to an amateur musician and thank them for taking the time to get good enough to perform in public. It is not easy nor quick.

I like high church with big organs and good choirs. I always feel lucky and blessed when I hear music well performed.

Thank you each for taking the time to get proficient at this thing called music.

In an orchestra like this not every one plays all the time. The strings play most, but the brass section spends has long breaks. Some may only play a few measures the whole evening.

Tonight the tuba player looked to be mid 80’s. He had a lead part for a few measures and he played flawlessly. Then he sat there for the rest of the symphony trying to not look bored!

We will go again.

No comments: