Friday, May 8, 2009

happy grandpa

I have been driving Emily to school since we have been here.

Her mom does sometimes, so I am not bending tradition too much here. But I have done it almost every day.

Friday schedule is different. Her school, a Catholic high school, says that it is “The School That Works.” When I remember that every kid has a school sponsored job each Friday it all came together.

Most of the jobs are clerical jobs requiring clean clothes. Emily works in the Portland Zoo, at the children's petting zoo. Clean clothes are optional and the Zoo furnishes rubber boots. At first it involved a bit of shovel and fork work, but now it involves working with the animals and training others to work with them.

Emily is an official “goat trainer” now. Since I like goats (having owned a few myself), I am pleased, and while the work was not terribly glamourous, I assured her that if she worked good at it they would find her a whole different job next year. At first she was not sure she liked the job, but through the year it has become enjoyable (good for you Emily--the big book talks about those who do good work at simple things get to work on more important thing).

So, anyway, today she offered to take the bus to school, from where they go to their jobs (so the school has a better handle on what is going on). She has a bus pass, so that part is not difficult.

“Emily, you know when I am home in a week or two I will sit and think of all of the time I ‘ wasted’ going with you and wishing I had spent it more useful.”

RIGHT? NOOOO.

I will say to myself that it was so wonderful, each moment I spent with Emily, and it will be such a good memory.

She grinned and got the keys to the Jeep.

No comments: