Saturday, May 9, 2009

mom's day

I lost my mom 27 years ago.

I was 45, Mom just 65. Miriam lost her mom a few years earlier. Marie was 57.

Both mom’s went to that dreaded cancer. Their minds were sharp to the end, but their bodies just could not take the punishment that cancer wrought.

There is no good time to loose a mother. Even though I lost mine a long time ago I think of her regularly, and wish I could talk to her. I tell Emily how much she would have enjoyed her great grandmother. How much my mom would have loved Emily and Jessica, Brianna and Amy.

So mothers day is a day of remembrance for me. She was a great mom, she endured so much when she was young, and she died way too young.

Emily was jut talking on the phone to her mom in Thailand. I reminded Emily that when my mom got sick my sister was in Africa and it took me two weeks to get through, working every night, just to leave a message at the school for Joyce to call back.

There is no happy end here. My daughters mom is going way, but a different way. Her body is healthy. Her memory is not.

So, to all of you who have moms and grandmas. Hug and hold them tight. Those of us who don’t have living mothers will be powerfully envious.

I will honor Miriam with all that the name Mom implies. She has been so good.

2 comments:

nancy said...

beautiful post dave. thinking of my mom today as well and wishing i could hold her again.

wishing a good day for miriam.

dave said...

Thank you Nancy. I see things happening with Miriam that I do not like, but I cannot stop.
Miriam talked to her daughters and a good number of grandkids. Each time, she wondered why they had called today.
Her sister even came for a visit, but that is another story.