Sunday, May 3, 2009

loosing her

Last night I went to the grocery store to get some popping corn.

Of course I took Miriam with me.

We were walking down the aisles, holding hands. I was saying sweet words to her when no one was looking. It is just the way I do things!

I squeezed her hand and said “I love you.” I think that is all I said!

Then I turned around and a young woman was standing right behind us.

She grinned and glanced at me. I grinned back.

I did not intend for there to be an audience, but it is OK.

What I wanted to tell the lady, but obviously did not is this: Look lady. This woman has been my dearest friend since we were 15 and I am loosing her. She is not running off with the mail man, she is just going away, one memory at a time.

And while I have her I will tell her how much she means to me, and I will do it all sorts of ways. I will tell her how much I adore her bosoms. I will comment on her dress and how nice she looks in it. How smooth her hands have always been. I will tell her how much I love to be close to her and hold her hand.

I am in love, totally, immeasurably in love. There is no one else to tell but her and while she loves to hear me talk nice to her, I am totally aware of the fragility of life and memory.

I love you Miriam. You have given so much. You are so beautiful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you tell her every chance you get. And take her with you and try to remember to savor the moments.

I remember taking my dad to the grocery store for quite a long while. It was a weekly tradition for a while. There was this fellow that worked at Walmart that was my age and went all through school with me. He was a little slow but he did a good job for Walmart. He always came over to visit with dad and dad looked forward to that.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

This post stirred me to tears. It reminded me once again of my parents and how special their love was for each other. It was words my dad would have said to my mom and quite possibly did.

This is what in sickness and in health, in good times and bad really means.

To say this is a beautiful post, Dave, is an understatement. It's so much more than that.

arutherford said...

My first thought was how wonderful that you and Miriam found each other and are still so much in love.

My second was like Snicks, it reminded me of my parents love affair for 56 years until literally death did part them.

My third was, I wish I had found that permanent love affair. ;-}