Tuesday, May 5, 2009

whoa

I signed on for grandpa duty, you know. . .

Get Emily and take her places (sort of a relative taxi service) and keep her fed, which is not easy -- said granddaughter is 14 7/8 after all.

That is all in the thin book about grandpa duty.

But now the book is getting larger. Do not get confused here, I am not complaining, just amazed and bewildered.

I have been to the ER with her; To her alternative medicine person; I just signed her out of school. Is there a trend here?

The best they can see now is that there is an appendix issue here most likely, and likely it will not get better for long.

Aunts are rallying (Mom is in Thailand) uncle the EMT is consulted and grandpa, so non medical, is doing as all of these people tell him. Emily is a strong willed child and as always that is mostly good and sometimes not so good.

I went to visit a daughter once and another asked how long dad would stay. "Until he is bored."

Can you be busy and bored both?

4 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I think as both parents are working, grandparents are doing more with their grandkids than before. In many ways, I think that's wonderful, but in some ways, such as my MIL, not so much. She is more less the dumping ground for her grandchildren whether she is feeling up to seeing them r not and my husbands siblings don't have a lick of common sense to realize that their parents are not in good enough health to be running after small children anymore. Anyways....

I am glad Emily has you in her life. You are obviously a great source of comfort to her. I hope she begins to feel better soon. I trust the appendix is being watched very closely. For something that has no real function in a person's body, when they go on the fritz, they create all kinds of trouble.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! And you thought raising kids was easy!! You've had more ER visits this one trip than all the time of raising 4 daughters!
You are my hero.
-d3

Lora said...

This is good for you! Think of the opportunities your daughters have had to stretch and grow - even when they were non-medical (for example) and forced to be! You are our hero because we got the idea some time ago that you could not have possibly been our father when you could not even change a grandchild's diaper, hee hee! But I can see clearly, Dad, that you are completely capible, given the chance. You go!

dave said...

I have changed a LOT of diapers, but I never was so eager as to VOLUNTEER when there was a mother or a grandmother around.

OK, not too many grandkids after all!