Thursday, May 7, 2009

hmm

I bit off the top here!

I became the head cook a year ago, which is hardly what I had expected (until the AD diagnosis). She was such a good cook.

Today it dawned on me that right here, right now, I am also the nurse. I really had not planned on that one. We have good daughters, one an RN, and good sons in law (one an EMT) so I have great back up.

But as I have been leaning on others and working on Emily’s infection I have been bumped up against the reality that this is way over my head!

I do go with Miriam to see the doctor, but so far that has not involved big problems. I did help her decide to have surgery a few years ago, and followed through OK.

And she healed and is fine now (that part at least).

Emily will be fine, gradually getting better.

Today Emily is coming home from school in the city bus/train. This is the first time she has taken the bus since we have been here. In the last week plus, come to think about it, we have had precious few “normal” days.

My plan to do a lot of garden work has been twarted a bit. It is a colder than I like, and the dirt is wet wet wet.

I did make a couple trips to the paper store. I am working on some new books. Suggestion has been that I put my art/craft on Etsy.com, but so far I have resisted. Maybe the discipline of getting work out to sell would be good. But there are a lot of things in life that are more fun when there is no money involved.

Hmm.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know I often felt in way over my head. But I know some pretty good medical folks who told me they felt the same way regardless of training.

Still there are a bunch of us that managed although none of us would say we were perfect.

I think you are doing a great job, too.