Tuesday, May 5, 2009

strange kitchen

It is a challenge to step into someone else’s house and stay a while.

It could be harder for a beginner cook too. I am barely competent (maybe C-) in my own kitchen.

My experience is so shallow I know how to cook with one set of pans along with my trusty Kitchen Aid.

Today I am making black olive bread to take to a friends house for dinner this evening. Rozella invited us. We will take emily, her computer and that loaf of bread!

I forgot to bring yeast to make bread (though I did bring the rest of the ingredients). So I had to look for some beyond the little flat packets, which often can make a loaf of bread more spendy than from a good bakery.

This particular recipe raises three times and is kneaded between each raising. That makes it really good, but it also takes more time.

I wrote that while the bread was raising. This the next day:

We had just the right amount of time. I took the bread out of the oven put it in a padded cardboard box and we were out the door. We had to drive to North Portland to get Emily, then drive south to Ron and Rozella’s.

And it was raining.

In spite of it all, it was a good evening.

The bread? It was superb and on the table, it just evaporated.

No comments: